In honor of The Dwarves 25th anniversary Greedy Media presents ...
25 Things You Don't Know About The Dwarves
DOWNLOAD: 25 Things You Don't Know About The Dwarves.pdf
- THE DWARVES first tour in 1988 covered over 6,000 miles and highlights were featured in the Village Voice. The tour consisted of 3 cities, 4 shows and $165 dollars cash. The band slept in a cargo van and booked gigs on stolen telephone cards.
- THE DWARVES teamed up with Top Ten producer Eric Valentine (Third Eye Blind, All American Rejects, Slash) to make their last 5 studio albums. He even showed up to some of the sessions! Valentine and Blag Dahlia helped write songs for Smashmouth, Good Charlotte and Skye Sweetnam.
- THE DWARVES recorded for visionary independent labels including Sympathy For The Record Industry, Epitaph, Fat Wreck Chords, Sub Pop, Bomp!, Amphetamine Reptile, Man’s Ruin, Recess, Theologian, Glitterhouse, Burning Heart, White Jazz, High Voltage, No Balls, Zodiac Killer, MVD, Midnight, Reptilian and Greedy Worldwide. Some of them even paid royalties.
- THE DWARVES have been stabbed, bludgeoned, swarmed, arrested, shut down, sabotaged and even fellated onstage and much of it is available on video, like the free dvd that comes with The Dwarves Are Born Again.
- THE DWARVES were one of the first hardcore bands to regularly use samples, drum loops and found sounds, even on their earliest recordings where they used cassette tapes to generate them.
- THE DWARVES were kicked off tour with a UK metal band for for mocking the singer's face boil and sleeping with the girls the headliners had hired to hang out backstage. They were banned from venerable punk dive CBGBs for breaking a table and bleeding on the floor making the venue cleaner and improving its décor.
- THE DWARVES began in the 1980’s as an Illinois punk garage band, covering everything from the Seeds and Moving Sidewalks to Gang of Four and Devo. They still have skinny ties and tight pants to prove it.
- THE DWARVES played with the Minutemen weeks before D. Boon died, visited GG Allin in Maximum Security prison and did coke with the Lemonheads in a seedy hotel room. And that was all in one day! Their list of collaborators on records is vast, including the ones they can contractually mention like Dexter Holland, Josh Freese, San Quinn, Nash Kato, Gary Owens, Spike Slawson, DJ Marz and Nick Oliveri.
- THE DWARVES play music that crosses all genres. Their last LP ‘The Dwarves Must Die,’ mixed all modern rock styles including hardcore, garage, punk, surf, noise, death metal, experimental, industrial, hip/hop, grunge and good old-fashioned pop. Even their modesty is legendary.
- THE DWARVES music has been featured on many television shows like Viva La Bam, Nash Bridges, Rob and Big, Laguna Beach, 16 and Pregnant, Homewrecker, Jackass and dozens more. They appeared naked on Monster Garage and Playboy After Dark, where HeWhoCanNotBeNamed mated with a pumpkin.
- THE DWARVES are the very best looking band in show business.
- THE DWARVES did a live one-hour performance on Japan’s prestigious NHK network. At the dinner afterward, they literally ate a horse. Barred from appearing in Switzerland they no longer tolerate cheese with holes in it.
- THE DWARVES played Berkeley’s punk collective 924 Gilman Street the first month it opened and appeared there with the likes of Green Day, NOFX and the Didjits. They were later banned for beating a spectator, but don’t worry, he was a fan of some other group.
- THE DWARVES are a true independent band with no outside management or record label, DIY forever. They leave no remains when they die, only footprints in the snow.
- THE DWARVES bassist Rex Everything has been tazed and did time for battery and resisting arrest. He loves kittens, puppies and long walks on the beach. Guitarists HeWhoCanNotBeNamed and The Fresh Prince of Darkness teach and counsel troubled teens when not ingesting cocaine and masturbating to hardcore pornography.
- THE DWARVES have been members play in other groups like KMFDM, Gnarls Barkley, Mondo Generator, Motochrist, Excel, Penetration Moon, Juliette and The Licks, The Queers, Scream, N.Y. Loose, My Head, John Cougar Concentration Camp, Kyuss, The Uncontrollable and End of Power. Don’t hold it against them.
- THE DWARVES are OG’s (Original Grunge) appearing with Nirvana, Mudhoney, L7, Supersuckers, Rev. Horton Heat and the Fluid. They appeared in the film Kurt and Courtney where they were described as ‘one of the more violent bands.’
- THE DWARVES were attacked in 2005 by a disturbed person enraged over the band’s lyrics. The first rock ‘n’ roll battle record, ‘Massacre’ proved the old adage that the truth hurts, but so does being assaulted.
- THE DWARVES are arty intellectuals who live in San Francisco. Their notorious ‘Blood, Guts and Pussy’ album cover, depicting a dwarf clad only in dead rabbit and blood spattered Amazons, catapulted photographer Michael Lavine to fame across the globe, but led to widespread banning of the record and protests at gigs for years to come.
- THE DWARVES guitarist HeWhoCanNotBeNamed died in 1993 as reported in SPIN (100 sleaziest moments in rock #79), Alternative Press, SF Weekly and Harper’s among others. Being denied entrance to Hell he returned to mortal form, commenting later-‘that which kills me makes me stronger.’
- THE DWARVES music has been featured in films like Ghostworld, Hostel, Observe and Report and Me, Myself and Irene where Jim Carrey crooned ‘Motherfucker’ while having a nervous breakdown in a car. In the hardcore porno Rocksuckers genitals collide to a ballsy Dwarves soundtrack. Lloyd Nickell’s new video for ‘Stop Me’ contains content deemed harmful by the FBI, FCC and Mothers Against Intercourse.
- THE DWARVES singer Blag the Ripper sang the novelty hit "Do the Sponge" on the cartoon series Spongebob Squarepants. Dwarf Sgt. Saltpeter has written and performed over 20 musical pieces featured since the show began. That’s Balls Folks!
- THE DWARVES have actually been around for 27 years, but couldn’t think of two more things to say about themselves. Except that Blag has published two novels, Armed to the Teeth With Lipstick and the teenage sex romp NINA. His podcast Radio Like You Want spreads the gospel of bad music and intrusive interviews with partner in crime Mike Routhier.
- THE DWARVES singer Blag performed onstage with Turbonegro at the Leeds Festival, UK and have toured Europe 11 times performing at Reading, Pukkelpop, Goteborg Gallopp, Download Donnington and Rebellion Fest to name just a few. Please don’t ruin a perfectly good gram of hash with tobacco.
- THE DWARVES cannot be seen in mirrors or when the sun is out, but you can see them live in concert soon at a theater near you.